The workshop started with us making three different sample squares with the same applique designs on each. We then tried differing approaches to quilting them so that we could see the effect this had on the look of the applique. Here are my three samples and I have indicated below each how I quilted them.
Sample One: The applique was fused and the shapes
quilted over with an all over pattern
Sample Two: The applique was fused and the shapes
finished with outline quilting. The background was then
quilted around the applique shapes
|Sample Three: The background was quilted first. The|
applique shapes were then fused. Extra quilted details
were added to the applique shapes.
The second day of the workshop we concentrated on working on a much bigger quilt (1m x 1m), dividing it up and quilting the different sections with different quilt designs and different threads.
On the last day we were shown some paint techniques which could be used to enhance our quilting. The only detail I have to show you of this are the tendrils on my last pumpkin sample which I enhanced using 'inktense' pencils which I set with textile medium. It did make a big difference to the look of the tendrils making them stand out much more.
I also added a lot more detail to my quilt which I still need to finish. All in all, I had a marvellous time and my head is now full of lots more quilting ideas!